True, the term “wave” is currently somewhat strained. However, Microsoft’s 2020 Release Wave 2 refers to innovations for Dynamics 365 that will be released between October 2020 and March 2021. This also includes Artificial Intelligence (AI) updates. We will show you which new AI features will be added to Microsoft Dynamics 365 Field Service specifically.
Benefits of AI for business
First, let us clarify what Artificial Intelligence means in relation to Dynamics 365. Most people only think of robots and computer-controlled machines when they hear “AI”.
Since AI holds growth potential for businesses in particular, Microsoft has also embedded intelligence into its Dynamics 365 suite of business apps. Plus, it offers additional AI features for these apps.
Artificial Intelligence can:
- Simplify work
- Automate processes
- Help in decision making
- Increase productivity
- Reduce administrative workload
- Minimize bureaucracy
- Improve customer loyalty
- Quickly process huge amounts of data
- Improve value chains
What Dynamics 365 Field Service provides
Microsoft Dynamics 365 Field Service is a software for organizing field service. It helps dispatchers when scheduling and briefing service professionals, field technicians benefit from mobile productivity tools that support them before and during on-site visits. Microsoft’s cloud app covers the entire field service process, from receiving a work order to customer communication, inventory management and KPI analysis.
AI features in Dynamics 365 Field Service
The 2020 Release Wave 2 will focus on the following AI functions for Dynamics 365 Field Service:
Enhanced skills-based matching in resource scheduling optimization
Companies usually have service employees with a wide range of skills. For ideal service delivery, AI offers the option of automatically matching service needs with the relevant qualification levels, always selecting the technician with the lowest common denominator of skills first. This creates capacity reserves that can be quickly deployed in an emergency.
Predictive technician travel time
Predicting travel times makes scheduling more precise and ensures that the service is provided in the best possible way. This is made possible by AI and the collection and evaluation of historical travel data. As a result, companies can better fulfill demand without having to completely replan the service.
The so-called technician locator makes it possible to specify an exact status for scheduled service appointments. Integrated AI functions can automatically confirm appointments, send reminders and provide details about the technician’s expected arrival. By automatically notifying the customer when appointments are made, when the technician departs on the day of the assignment, when delays occur and when rescheduling is necessary, they can plan with more certainty.
Localization capabilities of Field Service include:
- Sending notifications to the customer to confirm scheduled service appointments
- On the day of service appointment: Sending a reminder with a link to track the technician’s location and estimated time of arrival.
- A portal application that allows customers to view details of scheduled service and technician arrival.
Artificial intelligence in Dynamics 365 Field Service increases the first-time fix rate, resulting in more efficient resource utilization and significant cost savings.
Would you like to learn more about Microsoft Dynamics 365 Field Service? Our experts will guide you through the app in a free webinar and answer any questions you might have.
What is field service technology?
Field service technology supports organizations with planning, coordinating and executing field service operations. For example, it helps to assign the best suited resources to tasks or supports the field service technicians to find the location and prepare for the assignment.
What are the main areas of AI?
The world of work is developing rapidly, and artificial intelligence plays an increasingly significant role in various fields. For example, it is used to make smart, data-based business decisions, produce texts or perform recurring tasks.
Key areas of AI are:
- Machine Learning: the development of algorithms that enable computers to learn from data and thus perform a certain task increasingly better.
- Natural Language Processing: enabling computers to understand and generate spoken and written text in a comparable way to humans.
- Robotics: building machines that can perform tasks on their own.
- Expert Systems: supporting humans with decision-making in a specific area.
- Knowledge Representation and Reasoning: processing of knowledge by a computer in a way that allows it to reason about it and make decisions.
- Cognitive Computing: simulation of human thought processes by computer systems.
- AI Ethics: embedding ethical principles into AI systems, including issues of privacy, bias and job displacement.
What is the world’s smartest AI?
ChatGPT is one of the most powerful AI systems worldwide at the moment (February 2023).